… and also tart (check out the different varieties) – they’re pretty much an all-round wonder fruit.
Here’s a few quick facts on the health benefits of these little lovelies:
- Cherries are a decent source of fibre, vitamins and minerals, including potassium, calcium, vitamin A and folic acid.
- Antioxidants are vital for good health as they protect our cells from damage caused by oxidants or free radicals (a far more exciting name!) as you might be more familiar with. Cherries are packed with these powerful free-radical-fighting nutrients that could be beneficial in reducing inflamation, which could improve conditions such as arthritis.
- Cherries may help reduce blood pressure due to their high polyphenol content.
- Studies suggest that cherries can lower chances of gout attacks.
- We recommend getting a combination of tinned black cherries (for sweetness and convenience – no pitting needed) together with dried tart cherries and juice for their high concentration of phytochemicals which could contribute to improved quality of sleep.